Located at the eastern tip of the sunny island of Singapore, much of the area has been transformed into a pleasant place for having picnics, cycling or just plain lazing by the beach.
A well known part in Changi is ‘Changi Point’. This picture shows the original Changi Point jetty. It serves as an embarkation / disembarkation point for travellers ferried by bumboats to nearby islands…Kusu Island, Pulau Ubin, Sisters Island, St John’s Island, Pulau Penggerang. Sometimes, travellers have to hop from one bumboat to another to reach the outermost bumboat for departure. This original jetty is no longer existing. Instead a spanking new jetty was built near to its original location to provide an improved service to travellers.
Changi Prison was the only lock up in the old days. It still stands, serving as a prison up till today. Changi Museum was built to preserve its heritage where Allied soldiers, Indian soldiers from the British Indian Army, the Malay Regiment, who were imprisoned, tortured and died during the Japanese Occupation of Singapore during 1942 to 1945 (WW II).
A section of a bronze plaque describing the battle for Singapore and the eventual surrender of Allied Forces to the Japanese on 15th Feb 1942. During the Japanese, the island of Singapore was renamed by the Japanese to `Syonan-to’. General Tomoyuki Yamashita, known as the `Tiger of Malaya’ – demanded the surrender of Singapore from Lt. General A.E. Percival. Singapore fell to the Japanese when the surrender papers were signed at the Ford Factory located along Bukit Timah Road.